Ohhhh yeah…I finally found a recipe for broccoli and cheddar soup that gives me those warm fuzzy feelings and hugs me back. And yes, it also hugs to my hips a little bit too. But keep the portion small and then you can have 2 bowls. Right? (Also to note- I doubled the recipe and the leftovers froze beautifully!)
Cheesy Broccoli Soup (recipe derived from here)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock (I used low-sodium)
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and separated
- 2-3 crowns fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk (recipe calls for heavy cream)
- 1 1/4 cups shredded medium Cheddar
- In a medium pot, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme cook, stirring, until fragrant, for 20 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well blended and smells fragrant, 2 minutes. Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender, for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and puree with a hand-held blender (Alternatively, in batches, puree in a blender or food processor and return to the pot. I used a blender and only blended 3/4 of the pot so I left some chunkiness and texture.)
- Add the cream/milk and bring to simmer to heat through. Add the cheese and cook over low heat, stirring, until melted.
- Remove from the heat and ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle croutons over the top of the soup and serve immediately.Croutons:
- 2-3 cups 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubed French bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning (I just used salt and pepper)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the bread in a medium bowl and toss with oil and seasoning. Spread evenly on a small baking sheet and bake, stirring twice, until light golden brown on top, about 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.
- Top soup with croutons and a little cheese.
A young girl in her teens got cheated on and was left with a BROKEN HEART. And she came crying to the one person she knew would KNOW how to MEND IT.
Girl: I’ve given EVERYTHING to him already.I have given him all of what I have and what I am. What do I have left?
Mother: Then you have nothing…
Girl: I’m so sorryy… I’m worthless, stupid, and…
Mother:I haven’t finished yet.
Mother holds her daughter’s hand and says: When you say YOU have given you’re all, then you will have NOTHING to say YOU are ashamed of… because trusting someone and giving someone your heart and even your soul, takes COURAGE…
And rising up from that takes greater courage and priceless integrity. YOU have gained that from losing everything… Don’t BE AFRAID to stand up again, love again and know that YOU KNOW BETTER this time around.
Let him lose you, then he’ll have lost more than you ever did.
Great people like Patch Adams succeeded NOT because he followed all the rules and buried his head in books and in responsibilities — but succeeded because he used his HEAD and HEART to do things that he knew really MEANT something, and that he knew he’d DO for a purpose to fill… AND NOT JUST ‘CUZ HE HAD TO or that he wanted it to DEFINE who he is superficially as an added bonus to his imaginary resume…
You see… Patch teaches us to be SINCERE, HONEST AND BRAVE.
Don’t bury yourself in responsibilities to HIDE from the more intangible, deep, more difficult responsibilities in LIFE that you HAVE TO FACE, which honestly require more than just dedication, attendance and attention.
…that require more than just what you can DO, but for what YOU ARE as a person to the world and to the people who MATTER MOST, in the end.
Don’t be a person so busy that you forget to really FEEL.
NOT A ROBOT. NOT AN INSENSITIVE BRUTE.
BUT A REAL HUMAN BEING who does what he loves and does what he does because he has a REAL, passionate human heart, living on what is truly worth living FOR.
‘cuz in the end, you’d find yourself overcompensating for something NOT worth much more than it should.
You would turn into a person so absorbed with yourself, with the things you want to experience, and with all the things you’ve achieved, that YOU FORGET about the simplicity of LIFE by over-achieving on the SHALLOW things that prick PRIDE, and TURN humans into no better than ROBOTS who do no more than FEEL.
LIFE IS SHORT. So don’t underestimate the simple things other people value MORE than what YOU value less of.
You might’ve got it all in the bag but sometimes the bag’s just TOO SMALL for the simple and maybe MORE important things to FIT IN IT.
If I were given one day to use magic, I’d pick one that bends TIME…
So that for that day…
I could replay, and pause every single MOMENT that made a memory of YOU AND ME together…
And then maybe, just maybe… along the way… WE can CATCH glimpses of all the reasons WHY we’ve fallen in-love in the first place…
AND THEN NEVER FORGET WHY <3
But to think of it, I didn’t CHANGE.
I only started to LIVE MY LIFE the way I knew I COULD… not in a bad way, but in the ONLY way that made sense.
tell you what, BEFORE you point fingers or say how “changed” a person is because of some things she’s DONE FOR HERSELF that you might not find advantageous or beneficial TO YOU in some ways…
Make sure you HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Make sure that YOUR ACTIONS didn’t contribute to the RESULT and the so-called “change” that are there. Make sure that the reason isn’t JUST BECAUSE you think I should always stay the same because it makes things easier for you and so much “kinder” to you in a beneficial way.
AND make sure that you wouldn’t make the same TURNS, or maybe even almost the same complicated choices… LIKE how YOU eventually and actually did as you went on with your life. NOT that I’m making a big deal out of it but I sure didn’t gang up on you WHEN you did, so…
DON’T MAKE THINGS ALL ABOUT YOU.
AND DON’T SAY JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS CHANGED IT’S FOR THE WORST. Because from where I’m standing, all the changes I’ve made, made things a little lighter for me so that I didn’t ALWAYS had to PLEASE ANYBODY to please myself.
It made me happier. And it’s NOT a change for the WORST just because you don’t benefit from the change. IN CASE YOU HAVEN’T NOTICED, THIS IS MY LIFE. And what makes me stronger and happier should MATTER.
Still think that making a CHANGE made me numb, selfish, mean, insensitive, careless or naive?? Well… think again. TURN THE TABLES and see if YOU AREN’T all that you think I am now… If you aren’t as numb, selfish, mean, insensitive, careless or naive to me??
Sometimes YOU might have just bit off MORE than you could CHEW.
Don’t blame me for pointing that out like that BUT hey! SOMEONE’S GOT TO.